Monday 26 March 2012

Meet and Greet Monday- Alice Thatcher

- Use five words to describe your work

Delicate
Paper-like
3-dimensional
Contemporary
Angular

- What makes your work different from anyone elses?

Even though all of my recent paper-crane pieces are made in the same way, each piece is unique to the next. I fold each form individually, then paint the porcelain paper-clay slip onto them before firing. Once these pieces are fired, the paper burns away removing the original hand-crafted piece. This technique almost fossilises the pieces, but at the same time removes the original form. I believe this is quite a unique way of working, as clay is something that is usually worked with in a hands-on way. I could easily slip-cast these pieces, but I believe this would take away the fragility and the uniqueness of the work.



- If you had to work in any other medium, what would it be?

I would say paper. Since researching and learning about paper-craft, it has definitely become something I am really interested in. Clay and paper are both very sculptural materials and both have a similar sense of hands-on manipulation.

- What is the biggest challenge you face with your work?

At the moment, my biggest challenge is creating as many porcelain paper cranes as possible for my up-coming degree show installation.




-How do you want people to react to your work?

I enjoy creating a sense of uncertainty with my work, with these recent pieces, I want the audience to have to look really closely to realise that the forms are actually created from clay, not paper.

Alice will be exhibiting her work at her degree show at the National Glass Centre between the 16th and the 22nd of June. Then at New Designers between the 27th and the 30th of June at the Business Design Centre in Islington. For more information on her work visit her ideastap portfolioher pinterest boards or email her at alicethatcher_@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment